Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Poppy Seed Fruitcake

OK, I know “poppy seed” again; this is an adaptation from “Lemon Verbena Scented Fruitcake” from ............. in his original recipe the lemon verbena is the key, but for me this fruit cake is great because there are a lot of poppy seed. I like fruitcake with a load of fruit, but not the one that makes me feel like eating a block of candied fruit and I hate the green and red candied cherry. So this cake is my answer (because I make it myself I can add something or take anything that I don’t like out). I add the candied mango and the apricot and I take all the spice out because my mom doesn’t like them (but I write it down because someone may have a feeling that fruitcake must have some spices). Because no brandy adds, everyone can enjoy it, all year round, and this cake is my nephew’s favorite.


Poppy Seed Fruitcake
Make 2 loaves 25 x 7.5 x 7.5 cm each



Candied mango 55 g
Dried currants 85 g
Light raisins 85 g
Candied orange peel, diced 55 g
Dried apricot, diced 55 g
Dark rum 60 ml
Unsalted butter 340 g
Granulated sugar 340 g
Egg yolks 6
Cake flour 340 g
Baking powder 2 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Poppy seeds 85 g
Egg whites 6
Ground ginger ½ tsp
Ground nutmeg ½ tsp
Ground doves ½ tsp
Preheat the oven to 190°C.Line the loaf pans with baking paper and set aside.
Place the mango, currants, raisins, candied orange peel, and dried apricot in a bowl. Add the rum and stir to combine. Cover and macerate at room temperature for 1 hour.
Place the butter, half of the sugar (170g), the egg yolks in a bowl. Cream until light and fluffy. Sift together the flour, baking powder, spices (if using), and salt; mix in the poppy seeds. Combine with the fruit mixture, tossing to coat each piece of fruit with the flour mixture (to prevent the fruits to fall into the bottom and make them separate).
Beat the egg whites with the remaining granulated sugar until stiff peaks form. Stir half of the whipped egg whites into the butter mixture. Fold in the fruit mixture, followed by the remaining egg whites.
Divide the batter between the prepared pans and spread out evenly. Bake for 1 hour or until baked through; use a cake tester to check. Let the cakes cool in the pans for a few minutes before take them out of the pans.
(If you like, sift powdered sugar over the top of the loaves before serving, but for me I eat them plain.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...