Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Old Magazines

I have a new habit lately, after I set up my Blog, I always go through my old magazines and wonder why I didn’t try all the recipes ( I found out that I didn’t read some of them too, Oh my.). So, from now on you may find the recipes from the magazine that can date back to 10 years(I collected a lot of the magazine too). Not that I will leave my cookbooks behind but just to tell you not to wonder when you see where are the recipes come from).
Today is not very old (when you get older 2 years is not too long, right?). Buttery crescent rolls is not hard to do, and I include the how to from the magazine too.
BUTTERY CRESCENT ROLLS
MAKES 2 DOZEN


¾ cup (1½ stick) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for bowl and plastic wrap, plus 2 tablespoons melted
1 ¼ cups whole milk
¼ cup vegetable shortening
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
2½ teaspoons salt
1 envelope (¼ ounce) active dry yeast (I use 2tsp instant dry yeast)
¼ cup water (105° to 110°F)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
5½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface (about 390g-410g)


  1. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Butter a large bowl; set aside. Put milk, shortening, sugar, softened butter, and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar has dissolved. Let cool completely.
  2. Put yeast and water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes Mix in milk mixture on medium speed until combined; mix in eggs. Reduce speed to low, and gradually mix in flour. Raise speed to medium-high; mix until a soft dough forms, about 1-2 minutes. (If using instant yeast mix the yeast into the flour whisk to combine. Mix the water in to the milk mixture in the bowl of an electric mixer mix in eggs. Reduce speed to low, and gradually mix in flour. Raise speed to medium-high; mix until a soft dough forms, about 1-2 minutes. )
  3. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead until smooth, about 5 minutes, then transfer to buttered bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel; let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  4. Roll dough into a 13-by-2o.inch rectangle. Trim edges to be straight. Cut dough in half lengthwise; cut both strips into 12 triangles (about 3 inches wide at each base). Gently stretch each to 2 to 3 inches long. Starting at widest end, gently roll up. Space 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets, pointed ends down. Cover loosely with buttered plastic wrap; let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  5. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Brush rolls with the melted butter (I use egg wash, it produces more shine, if you want to just mix egg and 1 tbsp of water and brush before baking). Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 5 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...