Sunday, November 6, 2011

Financier Matilda: Today I bake for my mind.

Sometimes baking is not only a way to produce food, for me it makes me feel better too.  I don't have to tell you anything more about the situation in Thailand, I wish that everything will return to normal soon. 

Financier Matilda
I love the time when I prepare the batter, concentrate on my work in front of me, taste the batter, smell it when it's almost done and taste it when it's still hot from the oven. Those process makes me happy and claim me down, when there are a lot of things in my head to think about. Today I bake for my mind. 
I don't have to think a lot when choosing the recipe, some book that I can rely on is good. For today I use, .......................... ( if you want to see inside of the book just click .........) This small book is full of good and easy recipe, that you can make and enjoy at home. I use it many times and the results are good.
The financier is a small cake that made from egg whites, melted butter, flour and nut powder. Fo Financier Matilda is a combination of 2 flavors, the nutty batter will be lift up with a hint of lemon.  It's great to serve with tea or coffee, the richness from butter and nut makes it delicious. 





Financier Matilda
Make 12
90 .................................. Icing sugar
30g ................................ Almond powder
5g ................................... Hazelnut powder
35g ................................. Bread flour
1g ................................... Baking powder
95g ................................. Egg whites
5g .................................... Invert sugar (or honey)
45g ................................. Praline paste
60g ................................. Unsalted butter
......................................... Lemon zest
25g .................................. Hazelnut, chopped


Melt the butter in the pan over low heat, until the milk solids sink to the bottom of the pan and begin to brown. Remove the pan from the heat and let the butter cool completely.(it’s called “Beurre noisette”)


Preheat the oven to 200°C
Generously butter 12 financier molds. Dust the molds with flour and tap out the excess.
Sift the flour, almond powder, hazelnut powder, icing sugar and baking powder together.
Pour half of the egg whites into the flour mixture beat to combine, then pour the rest of the egg whites into the batter.
Mix until combine.

Put the praline paste, stir to combine, follow by the Beurre noisette” and lemon zest.


Pipe the batter into the prepared molds. Sprinkle with chopped hazelnut.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.

Financier Matilda


12 comments:

  1. cake looks super soft and yum..:)
    Simple yet delicate and delicious..:)
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice! yours look just like the ones in the book!

    I made Financier Carre Blanc in July with dried cranberries inside. Tastes simply delish!

    http://travellingfoodies.wordpress.com/2011/07/21/pierre-hermes-financier-carre-blanc/

    Do you find PH's financiers taste really soft and moist compared to other recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These financiers looks really good and soft . You are really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Reva
    Thank you

    Hi, Travelingfoodies
    I think so, it's very soft.
    Ps. Yours looks great too ^^.

    Hi, radioteletype
    The invert sugar or honey will make the cake to stay moist and soft longer (due to the fact that they are more hygroscopic than granulated sugar).

    Hi, Honey boy
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you make these financiers live up to its name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi dailydelicious,

    I love your cake blog ,all your cake looks so good and pro.
    Hope everything will be fine in thailand .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, erica
    Thank you ^^
    I hope everything will return to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, these financiers look very fine and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi, just wondering how much lemon zest is used and if perhaps lemon juice could be used so as not to interfere with the texture and also removing that bitterness which can come from zest!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Using about 1/2 tsp of lemon zest will be great ^^.
    You can use lemon juice too but the financier will be sour, using lemon zest is for fragrance not taste.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...