Friday, June 27, 2014

Hummingbird cake with yogurt cream cheese frosting

 I think cake with a lot of texture is interesting ^^, well I love to chew. 


Soft and light texture cake is good, but sometime hearty cake with a lot of good things (nuts and fruits) is a great choice too. I never made the Hummingbird cake before ^^, the ingredient list is interesting, mashed banana, pineapple and nut, I think it must be good. Hummingbird cake has been a tradition in the Southern United States since the mid 19th century (information from wikipedia.org). The mashed banana adds moisture to the cake when pineapple adds both moisture and texture. You can use different kinds of nuts, but for me my favorite nut is pecan so I go for it, hehe. 
For the frosting, this time I try new recipe that is healthier, rather than using cream cheese and butter, we use yogurt curd instead ^^. It has less fat and calories. But you need to prepare it a day ahead as making the yogurt curd needs 6-8 hours. 
I think I really want to bake a lot of things now, it comes from the fact that my house is still on progress (><), so I spend most of my time reading, I have very bad habit that when I can't bake or cook I always buy more and more books. This month I ended up buying about 15 cookbooks (both in English and Japanese), and dreaming about what I want to create when I have a chance. But don't worry, I can't stop playing so you will see new recipe in my blog all the time (even it's so hard to find the right space to work). 
If you have the same habit like me, come to the kitchen, and bake a delicious cake to enjoy while we're spending our time reading and dreaming together.


Hummingbird cake with yogurt cream cheese frosting
Make 15cm cake


65g ................................ Butter, melted and cool
60g ................................ Brown sugar
1 ..................................... Egg
120g .............................. Cake flour
1tsp ................................ Baking powder
1/4tsp ............................ Baking soda
1/2tsp ............................ Cinnamon powder
110g ................................ Ripe banana, mashed
70g ................................. Pineapple, chopped
40g ................................. Pecan nuts, lightly roasted and chopped
Frosting
200g ............................... Cream cheese
80g ................................. Yogurt curd (made from 200g  of plain yogurt)
60g .................................. Icing sugar
.......................................... Pecan nuts, lightly roasted for decorating

Preheat the oven to 180°C
Line 15cm round cake pan with baking paper.
Sift flour, cinnamon powder, baking powder and baking soda together.

 Beat Egg, brown sugar and melt butter together until fully combine.
Pour half of the flour mixture into the bowl fold to combine.
Pour the rest of the flour mixture into the bowl with chopped pecan nuts, mashed banana and chopped pineapple, fold to combine.
Put the batter into the prepared cake pan, smooth the top.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the toothpick insert into the center come out clean.
Let the cake cool into the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and let the cake cool completely on a wire rack.

Prepare the Yogurt curd a day ahead. Fit a sieve over a bowl and line it with two layers of cheesecloth (I use 1 layer of clean kitchen towel). Pour the yogurt into the lined sieve, cover with plastic warp, and refrigerate for 6-8 hours to drain. Discard the liquid and measure about 80g of strained yogurt.
Mix the yogurt curd with cream cheese until smooth add the icing sugar and beat until fully combine.

Slice the cake into 3 layers.
Cover 1 layer of cake with frosting, top with another layer of cake cover with frosting then place the last layer on top cover the top and side of the cake with frosting. Decorate as you want ^^.


Hummingbird cake with yogurt cream cheese frosting

5 comments:

  1. Looks great! I love hummingbird cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awessome, I was just googling your blog 2 weeks ago to look for hummingbird cake and could not find any. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am wondering if there is another fruit that could be used instead of bananas? I love zucchini bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you can use zucchini but you might need to adjust the recipe as it's not as moist as banana.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...