Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Aspiring Bakers #3: My Favorite CNY Cookie (Jan 2011) Chinese almond cookies

 I love to bake and well, everything about baking can make me excited, so when I saw a post about  Aspiring Bakers #3: My Favorite CNY Cookie (Jan 2011) in Jess' blog (j3sskitch3n), I really want to join this event. For this year the Chinese New Year is on the 3 of February and having a lot of recipes to choose from is a good idea ^^.

Actually I'd never bake CNY cookie before and I don't know what kind of cookie is CNY cookie, haha I just want to try. Even my family cerebrate the Chinese New Year, but we didn't have a traditional cookie recipe, for us Chinese New Year is about a lot of fooooood.
So, I started by searching on the internet and I'm still confused, there are many kinds of cookies which have been used and called CNY cookies, ^^", but what I think they have in common is the golden color. (And if anyone who read my blog can answer this question please, please teach me how to understand the rule of CNY cookies^^).
After being confused I think that I have to choose the safe way, hehe, so I choose the traditional cookie to bake, and I'm sure it's can be called CNY cookies.
There are a lot of almond cookies recipe to choose from, the requirement for each recipe is not equal, and many of them called for lard, it's not a common ingredient in my pantry, some of the book has included the instruction for rendering it, well, I'm just want to make something simple and easy  ^^". 
Finally I got the recipe, it came from the book............... (look like I use a lot of my old books lately, I feel good, haha). The recipe is so simple and straightforward, but I have to admit that only simple and straightforward couldn't produce the great results. Because when I baked the cookie as the instruction in the book, the cookie is too soft, but the taste is very good. It's not hard to give this cookie a little help, just let the cookie cool completely and bake it again in 150°C oven. After baking you will get a lovely golden cookie,very nutty and delicious, it's very good to have it with a cup of Chinese tea.
And most of all I think it's great for giving as a gift for Chinese New Year and I hope it can be called CNY cookie, haha.
Ps. Thank you so much Jess for  helping me with my blog and hosting this delicious event, ^^ I will join your Aspiring Bakers event again if I can manage my self, haha.





Chinese almond cookies
Makes about 27
125g ................................ Unsalted  butter, soften
170g ................................ Granulated sugar
1 ....................................... Egg
200g ................................ Plain flour (all purpose flour)
½tsp ............................... Baking powder
½tsp ............................... Salt
½tsp ............................... Almond extract
150g ................................ Almond powder
1 ....................................... Egg, lightly beaten for brushing the cookies
25-27 .............................. Whole blanched almonds


Preheat the oven to 180°C
Line the baking sheets with baking paper or silicone baking mat.
Sift the flour and baking powder together, set aside.


 Beat together, butter, sugar and salt until light (about 2-3 minutes), add the almond extract, egg beating well after each addition.
Slowly add flour and almond powder into the butter stir to combine.
 Using your hand press all the ingredient together until you get a smooth dough.
Scoop the dough with scoop #50 and roll into a ball.
Press the ball with the measuring spoon, and place the blanched almond in the center.
Brush the cookies with beaten egg, and bake for 12-14 minutes or until the cookies are light golden, take out off the oven and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
Meanwhile reduce the oven to 150°C
Brush the egg with the beaten egg again and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the cookies turn golden brown.
Let them cool completely and keep in the airtight container, you will happy to have them around ^^. 
Aspiring Bakers #3: 
My Favorite CNY Cookie (Jan 2011) 
Chinese almond cookies

26 comments:

  1. Almond cookies are always my fav. Interesting to know that almond cookies is also classified as food of China in your book :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Zoe
    Hahaha, I hope it can be called Chinese cookies ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. very beautiful! almond cookies are consider cny cookie pook =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry about its classification.
    Here, there is no definate term for it, as long as it is served during CNY.
    Just like pineapple tarts, it's a craze in Malaysia and Singapore, but I don't think the Chinese in China will have it.
    Same goes to "nian gao", sticky rice cake. Our version here is brown and wrapped with banana leaves, whereas in China, it's white and made very differently.
    Same goes to "kuih bangkit", it's very much a local CNY goodie, unheard in China.

    So, don't worry too much. Any cookie will do, as long as it is tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I think you did a great job, as always!

    I think Chinese Cookies have a tendency to use oil in place of butter, and they like to brush egg wash on them! Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Jess
    Thank you ^^", I'm so relieved, haha.

    Hi, Wendy
    Thank you, Thank you, I'm so confused

    Hi,DG
    Thank you

    Hi, Allie
    Haha, now I think I learn a lot about CNY cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Almond cookies looks soo fabulous and yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bakes always make me drool. This is one of my favorites...so many cookies to choose ;DD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice bake, Pook. I love almond cookies, a must have cookies for CNY, especially those melt-in-mouth type.

    ReplyDelete
  10. those almond cookies look really YUMMY! and no worries (: eating those festive goodies are for auspicious reason and meaning (: almond are one of those favourite amongst many people (: (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi pook, to a person who is not chinese, he or she may be confused what are the cny cookies and what are not. There's no really classification but there are a few of the very tradional cny cookies that will be found in most homes during CNY..they are peanut cookies, pineapple tarts, cashewnut cookies, green pea cookies , almond cookies, kuih bangkit.But over the years, with some influence from the west, we have now macadamia nut cookies, cornflake cookies, oats cookies which have also become many favourites during CNY. So dont be confused, it's just that we have some traditional cookies for CNY and also probably a few unique ones from some countries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pook, I have been your silent reader for a long time. For me, any cookie that is served during CNY can be considered as CNY cookie. It may be different for different countries. Singaporean really like pineapple tarts, almond cookies, peanut cookies, love letters, kuih bangkit, etc. You will find them all over the shops during this time.

    So happy that you have join this event. Hope you can continue to support. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is almond powder same aa ground almonds? The cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pook, any cookies serve during CNY shd be considered as CNY cookies. Your baking are always making me drool, this is not exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I only know that you rcookies looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Priya
    Thank you

    Hi, hanushi
    Thank you

    HI, Anncoo
    Haha, Thank you, ^^

    Hi, Min
    Oh! I feel great to hear that :)

    Hi, Sweetylicious
    Haha, now I know that, the key to CNY cookies is the deliciousness of the cookie !!!

    Hi, Lena
    Thank you, I saw a lot of CNY cookie pictures, and make me wander, haha. But now I think I understand it more.

    Hi, Small Small Baker
    Thank you, I really want to join all your event, haha, but I have to manage myself, I have too many things to do.

    Hi, Anonymous
    Yes, it's the same thing.

    Hi, Jess
    Thank you

    Hi, Secret admirer
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks yummy. THanks for the step by step instructions. Love your photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pook, you are really a good baker. All your bakes are so neat and beautiful and this cookie is not difference. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you thank you, these cookies are soooooo yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Pook, I tried to make these cookies yesterday. It taste great but my cookies has cracks line on it, not as smooth as yours. Could you give me the advise? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, Iyly
    The crack can come from the level of the gluten in the dough, if you knead it too much, the dough will develop some gluten and cause cracking.
    You will need to knead it less or substitutes some cake flour (about 1/5 of the weight) to reduce the protein in the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Pook, THank you for your advise. I'll try like you said next time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear pook, hi you are a wonderful role model for me.As I am just 10.Thank you for those wonderful recipes I would love to bake them for my family.

    Zayn lover frm Malaysia!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Sawadikaa........

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...