Sunday, October 13, 2013

You should try this: Chocolate Macaron with Caramel buttercream

My niece told me that she wanted to eat macaron, and I told her that I will bake for her.

But, I'm not in good condition, haha, a bit dizzy and when she reminded me that I still didn't make it for her, so I told her that "I'm not feeling well". Rather than giving up, she told me that "You can teach me to bake it by myself!" (She is only 4, haha). I know it's not hard to make this recipe, but I think it will be better to ask my sister to help her too. 
It's the first time for my sister to make macaron, I teach them the method and help folding the meringue and almond together (and they do the rest), and it come out this good, I'm so happy. 
Actually, my niece want to make the strawberry macaron, but I want them to make the easiest recipe first, so I choose this one, chocolate macaron with caramel buttercream. For the best result, drying the almond in the oven will reduce the moisture (drying it by preheating the oven to 150C, place the almond in the oven and turn off the oven let it in the oven for 10 minutes). If you want your macaron's skin to be smoother put it in the food processor with the icing sugar will help. But this time, I just told them to dry the almond and sifted it with icing sugar.
If you never made macaron before I really suggest you to try this recipe, it's easy and delicious ^^. Recommended by my 4 years old niece and my sister. 
* The How-to photos are from previous post.


Chocolate Macaron with Caramel buttercream
Makes 25-30 macarons


For the macarons



110 g
icing sugar
65 g
ground almonds (or sliced almond*)
13 g
Dutch cocoa
60 g
egg whites, at room temperature
20 g
caster sugar

Pinch of cream of tartar



Crème au beurre caramel
90g ................................ Granulated sugar
25g ................................ Water
1 ..................................... Egg
125g ............................... Unsalted butter
......................................... A dash of salt
40g ................................ Vanilla caramel cream

Sift icing sugar, almonds and cocoa through a fine sieve, pushing mixture through with a wooden spoon; this will help to make a smooth macaron.


* If using sliced almond: Place the almond, icing sugar and cocoa powder in a food processor and process until the mixture fine as flour (about 3-5 minutes). When the almonds are ground, using a wooden spoon, press the mixture through a medium strainer.

Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar whisk to combine and caster sugar, a little at a time until using all, and whisk to firm peaks.

Stir in almond mixture; in three or four additions. When all the dry ingredients are incorporated; the mixture will look like a cake batter.
Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 5mm nozzle. Pipe or spoon mixture into 3.5cm rounds onto baking paper-lined (or Silpat) oven trays. When you’ve pipe out all the macarons lift each baking sheet with both hands and then bang it down on the counter (you need to get the air out of the batter).
Set aside for 1 hour. After 1 hour the top of the macarons will be dry, and ready to bake.
Preheat oven to 150°C. Bake for 15 minutes (baking time can be varied, from 10-15 up to your oven) or until firm to the touch. Remove from oven and cool on trays. Slide a knife under each macaroon to release from paper. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or until ready to assemble.
Make the Buttercream:




In a sauce pan, put the sugar and water and bring to boil over medium low heat.
When the syrup reaches 100°C, start whisking the egg.
The syrup is ready when it reaches 117°C; pour it over the egg  and continue whisking until cold.
Add salt and beat to combine, then add the butter 1 tablespoon at a time. Increase the mixer speed to high for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the butter is fully incorporated.



Add the vanilla caramel cream into the buttercream, beat to combine.


Sandwich the macaron together with the buttercream.


You should try this: Chocolate Macaron with Caramel buttercream

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I never pass to make vanilla caramel cream, should I replace it by using golden syrup?
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...