Thursday, May 19, 2011

Apple Jalousie: Heavenly afternoon treat!

^^, I know many people wait for this recipe, well after I talked about the puff pastry ( "inverse puff pastry", or "Pâte feuilletée inversée") in my blog and my page. I have a chance to post the recipe, finally.

 Apple Jalousie is very easy to make if you have the puff pastry and don't worry you can use the store bought one too, ^^, as long as it made with butter. 
For me I use the one that I love to use right now, inverse puff pastry (Pâte feuilletée inversée) to make this delicious pastry. After I made the pastry I try to find the recipe to use it and I saw the recipe for Apple Jalousie in ............... it uses the inverse puff pastry too (but the recipe is a bit different from the one that I use) , so I think that it will be good to combine the rich pastry with a lovely caramelized fruit.
Another reason for me to make this dessert is I love to eat apple esp. a cooked one ^^, but mostly I love to use the Granny Smith because after cooking the apple will softer, sweeter but it will stay firm  and have a bit of sour taste. But you can use any kinds of it, as long as they will stay firm after cooking. The filling is very easy to make, and I love its texture. Because we don't cut the apple into the apple will be chunky not turn into an apple paste. 
I really love this dessert, one slice of the Jalousie with a cup of hot tea, ^^ and I'm in heaven, hehe.



Apple Jalousie
Serves 8




500g ............................... Puff pastry
.......................................... (you can use All butter puff pastry or inverse puff pastry)


Filling
5 ...................................... Granny Smith Apple, peeled and cut into 2mm cube
80g .................................. Sugar
80g .................................. Butter


Decoration
1 ....................................... Egg, lightly beaten
.......................................... Juice from half of the lemon 
.......................................... Apricot glaze
.......................................... Pearl sugar

Make the filling:

Put the butter into the pan and when it is frothing, pour the sugar into the pan, wait until the sugar is caramelize.
Add the apple into the pan and sauté until the apple turn into amber, pour the lemon juice into the pan, stir once and take the pan out of the heat.
Pour the apple into a large tray and let it cool completely.


Make the Apple Jalousie:


Roll the puff pastry into 50x20cm rectangular, then cut the pastry into half (50x10cm per piece).
Gently fold one of the pastry in half lengthwise; don’t crease the fold. Using a sharp knife, cut 3cm-long slashes at 1cm intervals along the folded side of the dough; leave at least a 2.5cm border on the remaining three sides. Do not unfold the dough.

Use a pastry brush to brush a 2.5cm border of the remaining pastry with egg . (Save the remaining egg.) Arrange the apple, by placing it in the center of the pastry.
Using a long spatula, gently lift the folded strip and position it over the apple filled pastry , matching up the straight edges. Unfold the pastry and stretch it over the filling, matching the straight edges all the way around. Press the edges gently with your fingertips to seal the dough, and then, with a knife, very gently crimp the edges of the dough all the way around the pastry.

Chill the assembled jalousie for 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, position a rack in the lower third of the oven and heat the oven to 200°C for all butter puff pastry or 180°C for  inverse puff pastry.

Right before baking, brush the top of the jalousie with a very light coating of the remaining egg.

Bake for 15 minutes and then rotate the baking sheet. Continue baking until the pastry is puffed, deep golden brown on top, and light golden brown on the bottom, another 10 to 15 minutes (the baking time can be varied). Immediately transfer the jalousie from the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool for at least 45 minutes. Lift the parchment to move the jalousie to the rack and then carefully slide the paper out from under the pastry.


Brush the Apple Jalousie with apricot glaze and sprinkle the pearl sugar over the side of the Jalousie. 
You're now ready to serve this delicious pastry ^^.


Apple Jalousie: Heavenly afternoon treat!

14 comments:

  1. I still can't make puff pastry... i really would like to learn, it's much better. But i believe in that one day i'll be able to do it, just like i'll be able to make some macarons!! haha Your Apple jalousie looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantabulous pastry,simply irresistible..

    ReplyDelete
  3. look delicious. must get my wife to try to make this..

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! So nicely done,bet it must be very yummy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish it is right in front of me right now for my petite dejeuner. Thank you for posting the recipe. I would like to try it, too.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your pictures, it neat and elegant. I definitely will try this recipe on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pook,
    Your Apple Jalouise very neat and pretty.
    I tried to make this one but my puff pastry soggy, could you tell me what went wrong?
    Is it because my oven not hot enough?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, puff pastry need heat to make it rise and dry, increase the temperature will help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Khun Pook,

    Could I add some cinnamon powder onto the apple filling?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pook,

    I'm using a store bought puff pastry. Do i need to roll it until certain thickness ? Or can i just cut and used it without rolling it again ? The puff pastry is 3 mm thick before rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you don't have to roll it again, it's thin enough ^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pook,

    I made this a couple of months ago, just want to thank you for sharing the recipe and easy guiding steps! Very happy with the results and shape. I love your blog! Aiming to try the raspberry passion fruit tart...hopefully soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...