Thursday, February 24, 2011

Coffee Macarons with Caramel Coffee Ganache: Less sweet more delicious macarons

I think the taste of the macaron that everyone will talk about after the first bite is its sweetness, for me it's the reason why I don't make it often. But trying to adjust the recipe is not easy, baking is a science, esp. the macaron.

A little change will make the result unpredictable, so it always make me nervous every time that I try to make a new flavor.
I really want to make a Coffee Macaron that my mom will love (well, my mom love everything with coffee, if I put coffee in the batter, she will happy to taste it ^^), and with coffee flavor the sweetness will be less (bitterness from the coffee will balance it). Finally after about 3 times (that take about 4 months, haha, because I'm so lazy) I got the macaron shell that me and my family love its taste. The macaron contains both coffee extract and instant coffee, so the taste of the coffee is more intense. 
But if the shell is great but the filling is not, I still can't finish my job (^^, I'm just employ myself as a taster for dailydelicious blog), so the next thing that I have to do is making a filling.
When I think about the filling, I still want it to have a coffee taste, but only a coffee ganache, the one that use whipping cream, white chocolate and instant coffee is not what I want. I want a flavor that will deepen the taste. Then I think about caramel, the taste of the caramel always great when combine with the coffee, so why don't I make a caramel with a coffee taste ^^.
At last, I got what I want, the intense coffee macaron shell with the soft and chewy coffee caramel ganache, my mom ate a lot of it when I place a box of my macaron in front of her, haha, until she told me to take the box away or it will be gone. 
If you're in a good mood, you can make the macaron more lovely by painting it, using edible copper effect paint, well, I go a bit too far when I paint the whole pieces of the macaron, haha, but I think they are lovely ^^. But even you don't make any decoration, I think anyone who receive these will be happy. 





Coffee Macarons with Caramel Coffee Ganache
Make about 20-25


For the macaron base
75 g ............................ almond powder
75 g ........................... icing sugar
28 g ........................... egg whites
4g ............................... Coffee extract
2g ................................ instant coffee
..................................... yellow food coloring (optional)
For Italian Meringue
75 g ............................. caster sugar
18 g ............................. water
28 g ............................ egg whites
Caramel coffee ganache
70g ............................. Sugar
30g ............................. Whipping cream
¾ tsp ......................... Instant coffee
⅛ tsp ......................... Salt
30g ............................. Unsalted butter
30g ............................. White chocolate
For decoration:
.................................... Edible copper effect paint


Preheat the oven to 170°C.
 Put almond powder, icing sugar and instant coffee into a bowl of food processor, process until very powdery. Sift into a bowl, put egg white, coffee extract and color into the bowl. Use a pastry scrap to bring everything together. Set aside.
Make the Italian meringue:

In a sauce pan, put the sugar and water and bring to boil over medium low heat.
When the syrup reaches 100°C, start whisking the egg whites.
The syrup is ready when it reaches 118°C; pour it over the egg whites and continue whisking until cold.
 Mix together the base and Italian meringue.
The mixture should be softer and very glossy, a little stiffer then cake batter.
 Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm nozzle. Pipe or spoon mixture into 3.5 cm rounds onto baking paper-lined (or Silpat) oven trays. When you’ve pipe out all the macarons lift each baking sheet with both hands and then bang it down on the counter (you need to get the air out of the batter).
Bake for 9 minutes to 15 minutes depend on your oven. Remove from oven and cool on trays. Slide a knife under each macaron to release.
Put whipping cream, instant coffee and salt in microwavable container, microwave it for 30 seconds or until hot and instant coffee and salt melt. 
Put the sugar in a heavy saucepan, place the pan on medium heat and cook undisturbed until the sugar begins to melt and caramelize-you’ll see a few wisps of smoke coming out of the sugar. Reduce the heat to low and stir occasionally so that the sugar melts and caramelizes evenly. While the caramel is still very pale add cream to the caramel at arm’s length, averting your face the caramel will boil up and may splatter out of the pan.

Add the butter and white chocolate, and stir slowly until smooth.

Spoon the filling into a piping bag fitted with a 5mm nozzle. Pipe the filling into the macorons
Sandwich macarons together.
If you're in artist mood ^^, brush the macaron with edible copper effect paint.

Coffee Macarons with Caramel Coffee Ganache:
 Less sweet more delicious macarons

36 comments:

  1. is so LOVELY! great job pook! it look so yummy! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg they are perfect! They look soo good... They really remind me those of La Durée in Paris hihi

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow they look perfect! even the innards shot, the texture looks delicious! I'm going to make this..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on these macs! They're gorgeous and perfect :) So envious. So far, all my attempts have been feetless :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prefect and cute macarons, they looks out of the worlds..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love your macarons ;) it's so cute and nice test!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your macarons look really impressive! The problem with the italian meringue method is the recipe cannot be downscaled. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. divine macs... how i wish i could bake like you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your macarons look so perfect! Must try to make some too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the marcarons looks perfect and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pook,
    I got a question on whipping cream. Are you using dairy whipping cream ? I wonder can I use the non dairy whipping cream. Coz th whipping in my area are usually sold in 200/250ml and I understand that whipping cream (dairy) has got short lifespan, once open got to used within day? Pls correct me, if I m wrong @_@

    Simonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Simonne
    I use Dairy whipping cream.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i am depressed :(
    i followed your instructions but my macarons became flat and full of holes. help please :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Maxx Machi
    Let the macaron dry completely and try increase the temperature of the oven, ^^, I think it will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pook,
    Can I store the extra caramel in fridge ? How long can they keep ?

    Thank you
    Simonne

    ReplyDelete
  16. It can be kept for 2 weeks in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those look scrumptious! I was wondering if i can omit the coffee extract and substitute it for something else?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Tsuyuri
    Just add 2g of instant coffee instead of the coffee extract, ^^.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi would it be too much trouble if you converted everything to cups or table spoons?? as you can tell im not too good with convertion

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Linda
    You can use these table as a guide http://dailydelicious.blogspot.com/2007/11/basic-pastry-ingredients-weights-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi hi..
    I just made this today and the macarons turned out pretty well considering it was my first attempt. Thou I had to throw away 2 batches of syrup mixture coz I couldn't control the temperature. >_< in the end it worked out except the feet were pretty short. Not sure why.

    However my caramel coffee ganache didn't turn out as well.. it ended up hardening and my macarons are now coffee toffee sweet macarons!! Any idea why the ganache hardened?

    Regardless, my macarons still baked well. Thanks !!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Sarah
    For higher feet, you will need higher temperature from the bottom, you can increase the temperature or use thiner baking liner (silpat make the feet shorter).
    For the ganache, it can come from the caramel, the longer you boil the sugar the harder it will be, try melt it over low heat and add more whipping cream can help in some case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thanks for your helpful answers !! It is very encouraging!! Will be sure to try again! =)

      Delete
  23. Hello ! I want to try this recipe, and make some macarons for my mum, but she doesn't like white chocolat at all ^^' can I skip it or nope ? Thanks you and have a good day !!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. White chocolate in the filling acts as setting agent ^^, the taste is not coming out, if you skip it the filling will be runny.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pook,
    I tried to make this today but they turned out flat and footless and also the middle sunken after cooling.
    Is it because I added some lemon juice when boiling the syrup?
    I was afraid of the syrup cristalizing.
    They taste good and coffee fragrant is super!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You don't have to afraid about the cyistalizing as the syrup will be beaten with the egg white and turn into meringue ^^"
    Next time skip the lemon juice and let the macaron rest for 30 minutes before baking, you will get beautiful macaron.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your Macarons are so perfect! Just amazing! I do have one question, when I pour the syrup onto the egg whites, what stage should they be in, soft peaks, stiff peaks?

    ReplyDelete
  28. You need to whip the egg white until firm peaks before adding the syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Tried your coffee caramel ganache.. Amazing! Thank u so much.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Pook! I stumbled upon your blog once and has been a big fan ever since. Your desserts are amazing, and they are not too sweet unlike the recipes from other bakers, so thank you so much for that. Here I have a question: can I substitute the instant coffee with freshly brewed espresso? Since it's liquid I think it may compromise the consistency of the batter, so what should I do? Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freshly brewed espresso can't be used in this recipe ^^", as you said it in liquid form so it will effect the batter.

      Delete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...