Saturday, February 19, 2011

ROLLED FONDANT

I make the fondant myself. Well, if you can buy it'll more elastic than the homemade one but this one is easy to make and it's smell so good. I tasted it and I think it's great, not that it's delicious (the main ingredient is sugar, so it tasted like sugar, haha), but you can really eat it without feeling wried, ^ ^.

ROLLED FONDANT
Yield: 2 lbs (908 g)

1 Tbsp (1 envelope) unflavored gelatin
¼ cup (60 ml) cold water
1 tsp lemon extract, almond extract, or orange extract
½ cup (6 oz or 168 g) light corn syrup
1 Tbsp glycerin (optional)
up to 2 lbs (908 g) confectioners’ sugar
½ tsp white vegetable shortening

1. Sprinkle the gelatin over cold water in a small bowl. Let it stand for two minutes to soften. Place it over a pan of simmering water until the gelatin dissolves, or use the microwave for 30 seconds on HIGH. Do not overheat. Add the flavoring.
2. Add corn syrup and glycerin and stir until mixture is smooth and clear. Gently reheat if necessary, or microwave for an additional 15 to 20 seconds on HIGH. Stir again.

3. Sift 1 ½ pounds (680 g) of the confectioners’ sugar into a large bowl. Make a well in the sugar and pour in the liquid mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon. The mixture will become sticky.
4. Sift some of the remaining ½ pound (225 g) of sugar onto a smooth work surface and add as much of the remaining sugar as the mixture will take. Knead the fondant, adding more confectioners’ sugar, if necessary, to form a smooth, pliable mass. The fondant should be firm but soft. Rub the vegetable shortening into your palms and knead it into the fondant. This relieves the stickiness of the fondant.
5. Wrap the fondant tightly in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator until ready to use. Rolled fondant works best if allowed to rest for 24 hours.

Storage: Double wrap the rolled fondant in plastic wrap and then store it in a zippered plastic bag. It will keep in the refrigerator for 30 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your recipe :)
    I met a problem when trying this however, and i was wondering if you could help me:) Everything went fine from the start, but after I add the butter (because I have no shortening in my house), my fondant mixture literary fell apart, and broke to pieces everytime I tried to knead it :( I have tried adding a little more glycerin, and put it in the microwave for a few seconds, but nothing works. Is it because I put too much sugar in before I add the butter (there is around 1/6 of the beginning sugar left), or some other reasons?

    Thank you for your response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it can come from too much icing sugar, ^^".
    You can take a small amount of the fondant and sprinkle the water over it, knead a bit and it will come together. I always do like this if mine is too dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, can i change instead used light corn syrup to golden syrup

    ReplyDelete
  4. If using the golden syrup the fondant will not be white in color ^^", if you don't mind about that you can use it.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...