Saturday, March 8, 2008

Coffee Gelato

I have my ice cream maker for 4 year now. I rarely use it by the fact that I still can’t find the right recipe. May be because my machine is so small, most of the recipe won’t churn into the right consistency and most of them too sweet. I spot the little book about the ice cream in the bookstore last week and I want to give another try. This book is not for the people who like super rich and heavy texture ice cream, because the recipe is called for milk than cream. I have a question at first but I try it anyway, the ice cream’s taste is very good but the texture is quite grainy. So, I adjust the recipe by add some cream only in half, the texture is getting better and I feel great that this ice cream is not too sweet (or you can put more or less sugar according to your taste). I love my ice cream this way, but if you don’t want to make it heavy you can use only milk (and it good to your waist, too).
Coffee Gelato
Serve 3-4 (small cup)


125 ml
whole milk
125 ml
heavy cream
45 g
sugar
1
yolk
1 tsp
Instant coffee powder

In a small saucepan, combine the milk and cream together. Heat the milk mixture over medium heat until bubbles form around the edges of the pan sprinkle with instant coffee powder. Set aside and cover to keep hot.
In a bowl, with a whisk, beat the sugar and egg yolk together until very thick and smooth. Gradually add the hot milk mixture, whisk all the time to prevent the yolk to become curdle. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of the spoon. Remove the pan from heat and set it in a bowl of ice water. Stir to cool the mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, or until thoroughly chilled.
Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Adaptation from: コ-ヒ-牛乳アイス (coffee milk ice cream)

2 comments:

  1. If I don't have ice-cream maker. Can I just store it in the freezer to freeze it after it chilled in the refrigerator??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,Kitty
    If you don't have ice-cream maker, you have to follow this instruction. First: When the custard is chilled beat it with electronic beater until frothy then put it in the frezzer.
    Second: After freeze for 4 hours, beating once with a fork, electric beater or in a food processor to break up the ice crystals, do this 2 time. then freeze until firm.

    Pook

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...