This is a sourdough made with a yogurt starter. I make it quite often, but actually making it versus filming the process are two very different things—haha! That’s why I hadn't shown it before; even though it isn't difficult, the waiting time is long. I have to film at night, which I don't really like because the lighting isn't great (a bit of an excuse, I know, hehe).
But lately, so many people have been asking for it. So I decided it was finally time to post.
To be honest, I used to think making sourdough was incredibly difficult—something requiring master-level skills—haha. But the more I made it, the more I realized it’s not about difficulty; it’s about understanding the process. The key factors to consider with sourdough are time and temperature, because the time that we contact the dough is less than the waiting time.
Let's start with the starter. The yogurt starter used in this recipe (if you haven't made one yet, you can check out the instructions here) takes less time and is easier to prepare than other types. The resulting sourdough is mellow and not overly sour in flavor, making it perfect for beginners—both for those new to baking it and those new to eating it.
If you decide to give this a try, I highly recommend watching the video. I’ve tried to explain the steps as simply as possible because I want everyone—and I mean *everyone*—to realize that sourdough is something we can all make. You might need to set extra time when you're first starting out, but as you keep practicing, you’ll get a feel for how long each step takes, and it will become a natural part of your daily routine. This is a no-knead recipe that involves an overnight rest in the refrigerator before baking. Chilling the dough after shaping enhances the flavor and makes it easier to score the top.
It’s a delicious sourdough bread that anyone can make at home—I really hope you give it a try!
250 g .................... T 65 flour (French bread flour, approximately 11% protein content, you can use all-purpose flour)
50 g ...................... Bread flour (approximately 13% protein content)
34 g ...................... Whole wheat flour (Fine powder type)
6.7 g ..................... Salt
1 g ........................ Malt powder (optional)
250 g .................... Water
Refresh the starter by mixing the starter with water and bread flour in a clean jar.
Let the starter rise until doubled in size, you will need 4-6 hours depending on the starter's strength and the room temperature.
When the starter is ready, weigh 14g of the starter into the water.
Pour the mixture into a box.
Mix the rest of the ingredients together and pour into the box.
Mix them together.
Until there are no lumps of flour.
Cover the box and rest for 15 minutes.
Fold the dough: 1
Wet your fingertips with water. Pull and fold the dough to the opposite side. Repeat the folding 6-8 times.
The dough will be smooth.
Cover the box and rest for 15 minutes.
Fold the dough: 2
Coil fold method showed.
With wet hands, reach under the dough and gently stretch the middle upward until the dough releases from the box. Roll it forward off your hands, allowing it to fold over onto itself . Repeat the process at 90 degrees of the dough. Continue performing until the dough feels like it won’t stretch and elongate easily.
Cover the box and rest for 15 minutes.
The dough will be very smooth and elastic.
Fold the dough: 3
Wet your fingertips with water. Pull and fold the dough to the opposite side. Repeat the folding 6-8 times.
Cover the box and rest for 15 minutes.
Fold the dough: 4
Coil fold method showed.
With wet hands, reach under the dough and gently stretch the middle upward until the dough releases from the box. Roll it forward off your hands, allowing it to fold over onto itself . Repeat the process at 90 degrees of the dough. Continue performing until the dough feels like it won’t stretch and elongate easily.
Press the dough to level the top; you can use masking tape to mark the level of the dough. Let it rise until doubled in size. You will need 7-12 hours depending on the starter's strength and the room temperature.
Mine used 8:30 hours ^^.
Preshape:
Sprinkle the work surface with flour. Remove the dough from the box;
Strech the dough. Fold the dough from both sides to the center. Roll the dough into a log.
Cover and rest for 30 minutes.
If your dough uses less than 7 hours to rise until doubled in size you can use only 15 minutes.
When the dough is ready; prepare the proofing basket.
I use a 21x14.5 cm proofing basket for this recipe. Line the basket with cloth will prevent the dough from sticking.
Sprinkle the flour over the cloth.
Flip the dough upside-down and stretch it. Fold the dough from both sides to the center.
Roll the dough into a log.
Use a scraper the tighten the dough.
Place the dough, seam side up in a proofing basket
Let it rise for 1 hour before refrigerating it.
If your dough uses less than 7 hours to rise until doubled in size you can use only 30 minutes.
After rising, the dough will almost reach the top of the proofing basket. Refrigerate for 8-12 hours before baking.
I use a cast-iron pan with a lid for baking.
Before baking, put a pan into the oven and preheat the oven to 250℃.
Place a piece of baking paper over the proofing basket, then gently flip the basket.
Remove the basket.
Score the top of the dough.
Remove the pan from the oven.
Place the dough into the pan and cover with the lid.
Bake in the 250℃ Preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Remove the lid.
Decrease the temperature to 200℃ and bake for 15-20 minutes more.
*Note: you can use a higher temperature and longer baking time; it depends on your taste.
No comments:
Post a Comment