Thursday, October 15, 2009

Chicken Farm Bakers' Project # 15 : Will You Marry Me?..Yes, and they live happily ever after !

Ok, I do my best. This is what I said to the host of this month, well, wedding cake is not a normal easy cake, I must say >*<. Anyway as the host said that I have to tell her who am I baking this cake for?, I do know the answer instantly. Because most of the time I bake for my family, and yes, my parent are the most important for me. I really imagine that if I have a chance to bake a wedding cake for my parent wedding day, what kind of cake it would be? So, this time I have a real customer haha.

My mom and dad married for almost 45 year, it's a long time, and I know that they love each other so much. And because my dad love my mom so much, the flavor of the cake can't be other flavor than the coffee, my mom favorite.
And she is the one who choose the decarating style (^ ^, and I'm so glad that she involes in this project).
Anyway, I need to try something, my sister said that the cake from the planet cake is very delicious, she could eat the fondant (usually she doesn't eat it).
After reading the book (The Planet Cake by Paris Cutler ), I understand that the key is the ganache, while other cake decorators use the mazipan for lining the cake, Paris Cutler use the chocolate ganache. So her cake is more delicious. But the ganache has a weak point, it can't stand the hot weather, so you can see that my cake turn out to be wet and not smooth >*<, and has some crack spots. Anyway, it's much more delicious than the mazipan, and it's worth the effort. I make the fondant myself. Well, if you can buy it'll more elastic than the homemade one but this one is easy to make and it's smell so good. I tasted it and I think it's great, not that it's delicious (the main ingredient is sugar, so it tasted like sugar, haha), but you can really eat it without feeling wried, ^ ^.
This cake is very easy to decorate, the small rose is easy to make, just cut the fondant and roll it up, that's all.

-My Parent's Wedding Cake-

You will need about 2-3 days for making this cake, you may start by making the ganache and the fondant on the first day, the next day, bake the cake and cover it with the ganache, the last day cover the cakes with the fondant and decorate it.


ROLLED FONDANT
Yield: 2 lbs (908 g)-you will need one and half quantity for this cake

1 Tbsp (1 envelope) unflavored gelatin
¼ cup (60 ml) cold water
1 tsp lemon extract, almond extract, or orange extract
½ cup (6 oz or 168 g) light corn syrup
1 Tbsp glycerin (optional)
up to 2 lbs (908 g) confectioners’ sugar
½ tsp white vegetable shortening

1. Sprinkle the gelatin over cold water in a small bowl. Let it stand for two minutes to soften. Place it over a pan of simmering water until the gelatin dissolves, or use the microwave for 30 seconds on HIGH. Do not overheat. Add the flavoring.
2. Add corn syrup and glycerin and stir until mixture is smooth and clear. Gently reheat if necessary, or microwave for an additional 15 to 20 seconds on HIGH. Stir again.

3. Sift 1 ½ pounds (680 g) of the confectioners’ sugar into a large bowl. Make a well in the sugar and pour in the liquid mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon. The mixture will become sticky.
4. Sift some of the remaining ½ pound (225 g) of sugar onto a smooth work surface and add as much of the remaining sugar as the mixture will take. Knead the fondant, adding more confectioners’ sugar, if necessary, to form a smooth, pliable mass. The fondant should be firm but soft. Rub the vegetable shortening into your palms and knead it into the fondant. This relieves the stickiness of the fondant.
5. Wrap the fondant tightly in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator until ready to use. Rolled fondant works best if allowed to rest for 24 hours.

Storage: Double wrap the rolled fondant in plastic wrap and then store it in a zippered plastic bag. It will keep in the refrigerator for 30 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.



Make the Ganache
Recipe from: the planet cake

470g white chocolate, finely chopped
160ml pure cream

1. To make white ganache, put the chocolate pieces in a large bowl.
2. Put the cream in a saucepan and bring to boiling point. Pour the cream over the chopped chocolate and mix with a hand whisk until the ganache is smooth. (Do not use an electric whisk, as you will create too many air bubbles in the ganache.)
3. Allow to cool completely and then leave to set overnight.

MERINGUE POWDER ROYAL ICING

Ingredients
7g meringue powder
20ml cold water
75g confectioners’ sugar, sifted
A few drop of lemon juice

Add meringue powder to cold water in a mixing bowl. Beat to a soft peak stage—about 3 minutes. Add the confectioners’ sugar, beat to combine. Add the lemon juice. Beat for an additional 3 to 5 minutes until the icing forms medium to stiff peaks. Cover with plastic wrap until ready to use.

Make the coffee flavored butter cake
Make 3 pieces ( 7inches, 6 inches and 5inches)

300g Unsalted butter
270g Sugar
300g Cake flour
1tsp Baking powder
6 Large eggs (beat lightly to combine)
150g Whipping cream
1½ tbsp Instant coffee powder
3tsp Hot water
1tsp Kahlua® or other brand coffee liqueur
½tsp Salt
1tsp Vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
Butter and line the base of 3 baking pan, 7 inches, 6 inches and 5 inches.
Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together, set aside.
Mix the instant coffee powder with Kahlua and hot water, set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar on the medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes. With the mixer still on the low speed. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract, and coffee mixture then beat to combine.

Add the eggs a little at a time, fully incorporating after each addition. Add the flour and cream alternating by starting with the flour and end with the flour.


When the batter is homogenize, pour the batter into the prepared tins. Bake for 35-40minute for the smallest, 45-50 minutes for the medium and 55-60 minutes for the largest one (or until the cake spring bake when touch lightly).

Cool the cakes in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out into the wire rack and let them cool completely.

To decorate the cake.


1 Cut the each cake into two layers, and spread the ganache on top of the first layer.
2 Place another layer on top, frost top and side of the cake, make it as smooth as possible.
(sorry I forgot to take the picture of how to make the cake smooth by running a hot spatula on the side of the cake).
Then cover the first and third cake with the pale pink fondant, and the middle with a pink fondant.
Decorate the middle with the royal icing.
Make the small rose by cutting the fondant into a small strip 1cmx4cm per 1 rose.
Roll the strip into a rose, and stick the rose on the cake.
Pipe the leaves on the rose.

Now the cake is done, ^ ^.


Chicken Farm Bakers' Project # 15 : Will You Marry Me?..
Yes, and they live happily ever after !

6 comments:

  1. This cake is so beautiful... your parents must be so proud of you. I would if I were them..:) It makes me feel like marrying :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pook,

    You have such great talents... this cake looks truly beautiful. I'd be so proud of myself if I'm the creator! :)

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake is rather beautiful and must be delicious,and the most important thing is that you have put your emotion into the cake,and I am sure your parents will feel that.Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pook, the cake is so beautiful..I like it very much.
    Just ask, how you put the small flower on the every side of the cake? what you use for it? thank you very much for you info.

    Regards,
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pook,

    The cake is beautiful. It brought tear to my eyes when I see the cake and our parents photos. Well done sis.

    Lots of love,
    Your big sis

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...