Wednesday, June 20, 2012

さくらクッキ:Sakura cookies

I saw this lovely ingredient a long time ago from Japanese cookbooks, Preserved cherry blossoms (桜花漬(おうかづけ)), the salted Sakura flower.

さくらクッキ:Sakura cookies 
 It's a Japanese way of preserving the loveliness of their beloved Sakura, and turn it into many different food and sweet to celebrate the Spring season. The taste of the Preserved cherry blossoms is very salty, but I find it good (for Chinese people like me, eating preserved plum is normal and the after taste of both of them are the same, it's additive ^^). Anyway, it's not good to use it that way, haha, you will need a doctor if you eat a lot of it. Using the Preserved cherry blossoms, you need to soak it for 2-6 hours to reduce the saltiness, make it edible.
I really want to try this cute ingredient, and I'm lucky that my friend gave it to me, I'm so excited and couldn't decide what to do. But I just can't keep it forever and finally I think something simple will be the best way to use it. It's a recipe that the loveliness of the Preserved cherry blossoms comes out, by placing it over the simple butter cookie. The taste of the Preserved cherry blossoms is not much (most of it is saltiness that you can taste a hint of it after soaking), but the lightly sour taste is great when mixing with butter and sugar.
After using one package of it, I think about the other package that I still keeping it, and now I dream about making it in Entremet, hope it will be beautiful and delicious as I imagine.

さくらクッキ:Sakura cookies 
Makes 16



90g ............................ Unsalted butter
50g ............................ Granulated sugar
2-3drop .................... Sakura essence
.................................... A pinch of salt
1 ................................. Egg yolk
120g .......................... Cake flour
16-20 ........................ Preserved cherry blossoms (Sakura)
.................................... Super fine sugar, for sprinkle on top of the cookies


 Put the salted Sakura in a bowl, cover with enough water, leave it for 2-6 hours, to reduce the salt from the Sakura.
Drain the Sakura and discard the water.
 Beat the butter with salt until soft, add the granulated sugar and beat unto light in color add the Sakura essence and egg yolk, beat to combine.
Pour the flour into the bowl, mix until moisten, then knead lightly until smooth.
Cover with plastic warp and put in the fridge for 1 hour.




Preheat the oven 200 °C
Line the baking sheet with baking paper or Silpat.
Roll the cookie dough until 5-7mm thickness.
Cut with 5.5cm cookie cutter.
Place on a prepared baking sheet, and put Preserved cherry blossoms on each cookie.
Reduce the oven temperature to 170°C
Put the cookies into the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown, sprinkle with superfine sugar immediately. 
Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes then let it cool completely on a wire rack.
さくらクッキ:Sakura cookies 


さくらクッキ:Sakura cookies 

5 comments:

  1. If I could get hold of this sakura flowers..... you made this cookies so lovely as a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of preserved sakura flowers as ingredients before!
    It sounds interesting, and looks delicious! *0*
    If I ever find preserved sakura flowers, I'm going to grab them and make these! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe really looks delicious - thanks for sharing it. You can also use pickled sakura to make pound cake y cutting them into small pieces and adding them to the flour.

    Add the pickled sakura when cooking white rice and you will have a wonderful sakura rice.

    As many seem to have difficulties finding pickled sakura, here is a shop with worldwide shipping that offers pickled sakura in 30g packs.

    http://www.ANYTHING-FROM-JAPAN.COM/Salt-Pickled-Sakura-Cherry-Blossoms-p/4982175600314-1147.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also found this website, it also has one of my favorite soy sauces
    http://chefshop.com/Preserved-Cherry-Blossoms-Sakura-Japan-P8096.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  5. our cookies look wonderful..I love them..
    Cali

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...