Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cheddar cheese buns: Sweet and salty soft buns.

I have so little time lately, well, work, work and work, haha. I have no choice right? But I still want to bake, and with a little time, making bread is not hard to do.

Cheddar cheese buns 
Last month my sister bought me a bread, actually I couldn't say that she want me to eat it, ^^", because her reason is "I want you to make something like this!". It's an order!!!
The first buns that I want to make too is a cheese buns, soft and slightly sweet bread with cheese. I love it. I use a soft dough to make it, and with this dough, I have to give you a bit of warning that it's quite sticky, but you have to keep in mind that don't add too much flour or it will become hard. Only 1-2 tbsp is enough, the dough will firmer and less sticky after 1 rise. 
Because my sister love her bread to be sweet and salty, I use the salad cream instead of the mayonnaise but if you don't like the sweetness of it you can use the mayonnaise, it's really depend on your taste,^^.
Making bread is fun, and relaxing plus you will get delicious homemade bread to enjoy, it doesn't need a lot of time (I mean real working time, rising is not counted). And I really recommend you to make this one too, hehe.



Cheddar cheese buns 
Makes 10

Dough
270 g ................................ Bread flour
30g ................................... Cake flour
5g ..................................... Salt
2tsp ................................. Instant yeast
50g .................................. Sugar
30g .................................. Unsalted butter
100g ................................ Milk
1 ....................................... Egg
80g .................................. Water


Filling
100g ............................... Cheddar cheese (grated)
90g ................................. Salad cream or mayonnaise


Topping
......................................... Cheddar cheese (grated)
......................................... Salad cream or mayonnaise






Mix together egg, water and milk.
Put the flour, the sugar and yeast in a bowl, whisk to combine, add and salt whisk again. Pour the egg and milk mixture into the bowl.
Use large spoon (or pastry scraper) to mix everything together, and knead briefly to bring all the ingredients together.
Take the dough out of the bowl and knead, you will see the dough will be elastic after about 2 minutes.
Add the butter and knead by using the heel of your hands to compress and push the dough away from you, then fold it back over itself. Give the dough a little turn and repeat. Put the weight of your body into the motion and get into a rhythm. Keep folding over and compressing the dough. Knead for 10-15 minutes or until the dough is soft, pliable, smooth and slightly shiny, almost satiny. But this dough is a bit sticky, use a bit of flour will help (1-2 tbsp)
See how to knead bread, here.
Put the dough into a light buttered bowl. Let the dough rise in a warm place until double in size (can be 1 hour or 1 hour and a half check often depend on the temperature).



 Mix Salad cream or mayonnaise with cheddar cheese.
 Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
Take the dough out of the bowl, deflate by touch it lightly.
Cut the dough into 10 pieces roll into a ball and let them rest for 10 minutes.
Flatten each ball with the palm of your hand into a  circle. Place a filling mixture in center of each dough round, and gather up edges to enclose filling, twisting edges together and pressing to seal and place it seam side down Repeat with remaining dough and filling.

Let the dough rise until almost double in size, about 30minuts.
Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese and drizzle salad cream or mayonnaise with before baking.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.



Cheddar cheese buns 


Cheddar cheese buns: Sweet and salty soft buns.

19 comments:

  1. those look so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you always amaze me with your work,
    very impressive. Love cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow, these stuffed buns look delecious, love that cheese mayo stuffing inside

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting and easy to make buns.
    already added to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pook, I tried these! though mine didn't turn out as beautiful as yours but the taste is good and soft even the next day!

    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, the buns look really delicous. May I ask the 100g milk in the dought ingredient is fresh milk or milk powder? Thanks you for sharing this beautiful recipe ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pook, Is it the dough very sticky? I did follow your intruction but my dough is very sticky and I have to add lot of flour. The bread came out soft but I don't know if it is soft as your since i did put a lot of flour in. But my kid love the taste of it. I can not find the "salad cream" so i put the "Ranch" dressing salad. Thank you for posting this recipe. Wish you have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Anonymous
    100g milk is fresh milk.

    Hi, lyly
    This one is very sticky ^^".
    You can add more flour but not much, wash your hand and rub it with more butter will prevent the stickiness and you will need less flour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you Pook. I'll try again. Wish you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I made those buns, and it's very delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi
    I want to say that this is one of the best bun recipe that I have made! Amazingly soft and delicious! The second time I tried with different fillings and it was equally great! Thanks again! Love your blog!!!!!!
    CT

    ReplyDelete
  12. I ve replaced mozarella cheese as topping. ..a very nice combination with the cheddar filling.. thanks for the recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super sticky dough..!!! Luckily knead with bread maker..but still have to add some flour while shaping.. love your recipe..thanks

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do I proof the dough in the breadmaker before dividing into small buns? I am using Kenwood. Which kneading mode to choose?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It will be easier to use stand mixer or breadmaker, I usually use dough (mine have 2 dough and light dough).
    You can let the first prof in the breadmaker, before dividing into a bun.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...