Thursday, August 12, 2010

Chocolate Marquise: Mini size chocolate cake



From the photo, I guess you can tell that this cake is very small, but the taste is not. The size of this cake is only 2x4 cm (or I can eat it in 2 bites, haha).


I make it when I fell like I need a chocolate cake, ^^ (it's a feeling that happens all the time, well, what can I do I really love chocolate). 


But I don't think the big and heavy one will fill up my desire, I need a big chocolate taste but a light feeling. This cake is the right answer, it starts with the chocolate sponge cake that will be filled with the dark chocolate ganache and sprinkle heavily with the cocoa powder. The felling the you will get when you bite into the cake is, Umm........ it's soft, packed with a lot of chocolate taste (from everything ^^, the sponge, the ganache and the cocoa powder), and the most important thing is it's DELICIOUS!
I take the recipe from:............


For the ganache, I suggest you use the chocolate with the cocoa mass percent that you like, for me this time I use the 70% cocoa mass because I really need a chocolate punch, haha. 
This cake will be great to serve with a cup of coffee, well, I think the taste of the coffee and chocolate always lighten up each other, make them more delicious. 
  





Chocolate Marquise
Make 2x4cm/piece - 21 pieces








Cocoa sponge cake 
30g ................................. Cake flour
15g .................................. Cocoa powder
3 ...................................... Eggs
70g .................................. Sugar
15g .................................. Unsalted butter, melted

Ganache
80cc ................................ Whipping cream
80g ................................. Semisweet chocolate, chopped
½tsp  .............................. Rum

Syrup 
2tsp ................................ Sugar
1tbsp .............................. Water
1tsp ................................ Rum

......................................... Cocoa powder for sprinkle the top of the cake



Preheat the oven to 190°C. 
Line 30x30 cm.pan with baking paper.


Using hand mixer, beat the egg white with sugar (add the sugar gradually) until stiff peaks form.
Pour the egg yolks into the egg white, beat with low speed for 1 minutes.
Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl and fold to combine.
Pour the melted butter into the bowl, and fold lightly to combine, then pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake for 10 minutes or until the top is spring lightly when touch.


Let the cake cool on the wire rack.


Make the ganache:



Boil the whipping cream and pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate. Wait for 1 minutes and stir lightly to melt the chocolate then add the rum and stir to combine.


Make the syrup:




Mix all the ingredient in small saucepan and bring to boil, then let it's cool.


Assemble the cake:




Cut the cake into 4 pieces, brush with the syrup.
Spread the ganache over the 3 layers of the cake and stack them together, then top with the last layer.
Place some heavy dish (or anything that you can find about 500g , ^^), to make the cake layers stick together for 10 minutes.




Take the weight out and brush with the syrup, spread the ganache on top and sprinkle with  the cocoa powder.
Cut the cake into small pieces (2x4cm).



Chocolate Marquise: Mini size chocolate cake

17 comments:

  1. Looks chocolatey and look the dainty size, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty and petite! Will try this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kawaii...

    What is the size of your baking pan to make the sponge cake?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,Jessie Hearty Bakes
    Yes, small size cake is prettier than the big one.

    Hi, Blessed Homemaker
    Hope you love it ^^.

    Hi, Hanushi
    The pan size is 30x30cm.
    Sorry, that I forgot to wrote it down in the first place.

    Pook

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can eat all in pan na ka 555555555

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    Nice cake you have there! Looks really good, going to try to bake it by myself one of these days too. But i dont have any rum at home. May i know if i can substitute it with something else? or can i just leave it out? But if i leave it out, would it spoil the taste of the cake?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rum adds more deep in the flavor for this cake, but you can leave the rum out, the cake will be delicious.
    Pook

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I tried tonight and I found the chocolate spread when I put the cake on the top,and the chocobis very sticky!,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Fruit cat
    The chocolate ganache needed to be firm up a bit before assemble the cake, but when you said that the chocolate is very sticky I wonder did the ganache was liquid and sticky at the same time?.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really happy for your comment to me. Thanks so much.
    I was coming from Hong Kong. love your recipe very much.
    Yes, the chocolate ganache is liquid form, when I place a cake over it, the chocolate spread down to plate.
    Finally I cut all the 4 edges and it becomes smaller cake size.
    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  12. the cake looks delicious! can i actually use any substitute for the rum? like vanilla extract?

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, you can use vanilla extract instead of the the rum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this looks sooooooo good!! i love how dainty it looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi :) I love your blog and I made a lot of your recipes. This one is something I make very often. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi. I am a silent follower of your blog and love your recipes. I tried this today but the cake came out dense and not fluffy. Did I over mix? I also didn't have enough batter to fill the whole pan. I wonder why.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  17. Making sponge is tricky, you need to fold it very lightly or the cake will be dense.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...