Saturday, August 3, 2024

Thin Apple Tart


There are many things in my memory that I still want to eat again.

Some of my favorite shops or bakeries are closed now, and if I want to eat I have to make it by myself.

A Thin apple tart is one of them, I always bought it from an Oriental shop in Isetan. It's my most favorite apple tart !!! It's one of the reasons that made me love baked apple sweets. 

When I started baking, I wanted to make it but as it's not easy for a newbie to make puff pastry after reading the recipe I didn't think I could make it. 

Time passed, and now I understand more about baking, I forgot about this recipe until last month, I thought about the Oriental shop and this tart came to my mind. I can't buy it anymore, the choice is "I have to make it".

I made puff pastry for this recipe and most of the time that I used was for the pass pastry. But you can use a frozen puff pastry sheet, it will make this tart super easy as the main work will be peeling and slicing the apple, haha. 

When turning the tart upside-down beware that there can be a bit messy from the water that comes from the apple after baking. I lined a sheet of aluminum foil under the tart ring to catch some of the liquid to solve this problem. Anyway, you can use a smaller baking pan (with a rim) instead of the aluminum foil too.

After baking, let the tart cool before turning the right side up as the apple will set after it becomes cool. Warm the tart before serving is recommended, it makes the pastry crisp and delicious.


Thin Apple Tart
Make 22-23 cm tart


Puff pastry*
120 g ........................ Unsalted butter
110 g ........................ Water
5 g ............................ Salt
180 g ........................ All-purpose flour

Apple
600-700 g ................ Apple (I use Envy Apple)
*The amount of the apple is up to your taste

Butter+Icing
25 g ......................... Melted unsalted butter
15 g ......................... Icing sugar

Butter+Honey
20 g ......................... Melted unsalted butter
20 g ......................... Honey

* You can use a frozen Puff Pastry Sheet. 

Make the butter block: Put the butter into a plastic bag or a piece of baking paper. Pat with a rolling pin and roll it out into a 15 x 18 cm. square. Refrigerate until ready to use it.

Mix the water with salt and set it aside.

Put the all-purpose flour into a bowl and pour the water mixture into the bowl.

Mix until a dough formed. Roll the dough into a ball.

Cover and rest for 30 minutes.

Roll the dough into an 18 x 30 cm rectangular. Place the dough on a tray, cover it with a plastic bag, and freeze for 30 minutes.

Place the butter block in the center. 

Cover the butter block with the dough.


First fold: double fold

Roll the dough with a rolling pin.

About 40 cm long

Fold both sides of the dough to the center.

Fold it again in half.

Make a notch on four corners with a knife. Cover the dough with a piece of plastic.

Place on a tray and cover with a plastic bag. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Second fold: double fold

Roll the dough with a rolling pin. About 40 cm long.

Fold both sides of the dough to the center. Fold it again in half. Make a notch on four corners with a knife. Cover the dough with a piece of plastic.

Place on a tray and cover with a plastic bag. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Third fold: single fold

Roll the dough with a rolling pin. About 40 cm long.

Fold 1/3 of the dough. 

Fold another side of the dough to cover.

Make a notch on four corners with a knife. Cover the dough with a piece of plastic. Place on a tray and cover with a plastic bag. Refrigerate for 60 minutes.

Shaping:

Roll the dough with a rolling pin into a 25x25 cm square. 

 Cover the dough tightly and keep it in the freezer until ready to use.


Cut the dough into a 23 cm round (or 22 cm for a 22 cm tart ring).


Put into a 23 cm tart ring (or 22 cm for a 22 cm tart ring).


Peel, core, and slice the apple into 2 mm slices.


Layering the apple slices over the pastry dough.



Brush the apple slices with melted butter.


Sprinkle with the icing sugar.


Bake in the 200℃ preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. 


Mix the melted butter (20g) and honey together.


Brush it over the apple slices.


Place baking paper or a silicone mat over the top and turn the tart upside-down.


Bake for 30-35 minutes more in the 200℃ preheated oven.


Let the tart cool completely before turning the right side up.





Thin Apple Tart

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...