Monday, December 5, 2011

Chocolate and Orange tea cake: There're jewels inside!


Orange and chocolate are one of the best pairing. I remember that one of my reader ask me about the Jaffa cake, she wanted the recipe.

Chocolate and Orange tea cake
I try to find it and finally come across something interesting, it didn't have the same look as the commercial Jaffa cake, but I think it looks great. Because it made from genoise, orange ganache, marmalade and chocolate, or you can say that I love it because it has a lot of chocolate in the recipe, haha.
The original recipe come from the book................... Well, I adapt the recipe a bit to suit my taste and my time ^^, instead of using tempered chocolate to cover this little cake, I use the ganache as it easier to make, haha.
I suggest you to make the orange ganache and let it rest until firm before assemble the cake or it will not stay in place and make your life harder. And you need to sprinkle genoise with a lot of syrup too, or it will be too dry.
I love the look of the cake, dark and shining but when you cut it, it will reveal the golden color cake with jewel like orange. About the taste, I think it's very good, the bitter taste of the chocolate contrast with the sweetness of the orange marmalade but get along very well, thank to the orange ganache. I think it's better than Jaffa cake, don't you agree?





Chocolate and Orange Tea Cake
Makes 15 cakes (5cm)

........................................ Orange marmalade
1recipe .......................... Basic genoise
........................................ Chocolate discs
Orange ganache
450ml ............................ Orange juice
160g ............................... Dark chocolate (70%)
Dark chocolate ganache
150g ............................... Dark chocolate (50%)
150g ............................... Whipping cream
Orange syrup
70g ................................. Simple syrup
1tbsp .............................. Grand Marnier


Boil the orange juice until it has reduce to170ml pass through a sieve into a bowl containing the chocolate. Stir until smooth. Leave to firm (you can let it rest overnight).


Cut the genoise into 5cm rounds.
Sprinkle with syrup.
Pipe a ring of orange ganache around the edge of each sponge and then spoon the marmalade into the center.
Place a chocolate disc on top of each one.



Make the ganache by boiling the whipping cream and pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate. Wait for 1 minutes and stir lightly to melt the chocolate.
Cover the cake with ganache, and refrigerate for 1 hour to firm up the ganache.
Decorate as desire and serve.




Chocolate and Orange tea cake

Chocolate and Orange tea cake: There're jewels inside!

8 comments:

  1. Oh no.. it's look sooo good.. i agree with you..make me drooling~ I felt happy everytimes I read your blog..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, excellent looking tea cake,incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...unable to express how much i love this cake...so rich in chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi,
    this looks amazing thanx for sharing.i have a question though. since u have a wide varitey of books, can u recommend for me a book about baking yeast bread. i like books that have the why and the how and cover a wide varity of types of bread.
    thanx Naglaa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, FaithHopeLove
    Thank you.

    Hi, Priya
    Thank you.

    Hi, Sherlenn T
    Haha, so you must try this ^^.

    Hi, Naglaa
    For the bread baking book with the theory, I think you can try this one http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.169917636392167.50953.148994658484465&type=1.

    Hi, James
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi. i tried this recipe today and my orange gananche turned out so sour. it cant used. is there any particular brand of orange u use?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use Mini-mate, but you can use any brand that slightly sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...