Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Cannelés bordelais: Surefire Classis Canelé Recipe

 



Finally, I'm ready to share a Surefire Canelé Recipe with you.



I first made this little cake about 10 years ago, well, at that time it was not easy to find copper molds so my first attempt was made by using silicone molds.


I know that there are many people who can make good Canelé with silicone molds, but it's not me. My first batch of Canelé was a nightmare, haha, I tried to follow the instructions like tapping the molds and etc., but there was no point ^^".

After that I had a chance to get the real copper molds, they really cost me a fortune, but I love them so much. 



But I was still far from the real Canelé because the next thing that I needed was to find the bee wax. I started to think that making Canelé at home was too much for me and I lost interest.

Until 3 years ago, my sister urged me to make it. Because she loves to eat this little cake and it's the best when freshly made. 
I had to make it again.
Anyway, I started to understand many things by now. 
First, you can use butter or oil spray to grease the molds esp. I use the oil spray that contains wax, it makes my life a lot easy than melting the bee wax, hehe.


When I posted the photo, many people asked for the recipe. But I still thought that there were many steps that were so frustrated and I hoped that I could simplify them.

Yes, today is the day, haha, this is the recipe and the instruction that if you follow it, your Canelé will come out of the oven perfectly!!!!!

You can use the pricy copper molds or the easy-to-find Non-stick molds for this recipe.



After testing them, the result of the Non-stick molds is acceptable (you can see the photo). With the Non-stick molds, your Canelé will have a thicker crust (the thicker crust makes the taste of the Canelé lightly bitter), but from my sister's point of view (OK, you can say that from the Canelé lover's point of view), she doesn't think that it's a big problem.


And if you want to keep the money in your pocket ^^, the Non-stick molds are recommended! 

There is nothing to worry about after this.

Starting by heating the milk+butter to 75℃ and adding it into the egg mixture, you half cook the egg. This step is so important, as the half-cooked means more stable batter.
Resting the batter in the fridge is very recommended too because you will give the flour enough time to absorb the moisture.

The last step is baking.
Decreasing the temperature is the best thing that you can do to get delicious Canelé. The first 15 minutes at the highest temperature is for setting the Canelé, and preventing it from rising too much (anyway, the half-cooked egg helps too). After decreasing the temperature you will bake to fully cook the custard and the last part (lower heat only) is for browning the Canelé. 

So, I share this recipe with a load of hope that you will be able to get the perfectly lovely and delicious Canelé, haha. The recipe calls for weighting everything including the egg as you know that the weight and size of the egg are so varied, that it's too risky for the perfect recipe. 




Cannelés bordelais: Surefire Classis Canelé Recipe
Makes 12 pieces of 5.5 cm. Canelé 


Canelé batter

80 g ...................... Egg yolk
30 g ...................... Egg whites 
 1/8 tsp .................. Salt
250 g ..................... Granulated sugar
26 g ....................... Unsalted butter
8 g ..........................Vanilla bean paste
500 g ...................... Whole-milk 
125 g ...................... All-purpose flour
30 g ........................ Rum

For preparing the molds
................................ Unsalted butter or oil spray







Put the egg yolks, egg whites, and salt into a bowl and beat to combine.


Pour half of the sugar into the bowl and beat to combine.


Pour the rest of the sugar into the bowl and beat until combined.


Put the butter, vanilla extract, and milk into a medium pan.
Place the pan over medium heat, and stir it from time to time until the butter melted, and the mixture is around 75℃.


Pour the hot milk mixture into the egg gradually (or divide into 4 additions), and stir the mixture until fully combined.


Sift the all-purpose flour into the bowl and stir to combine.


Pour the rum into the bowl and stir to combine.


Pass the batter through a sieve into another bowl.


Cover and refrigerate it for at least 12 or up to 24 hours.


Before baking, return the batter to room temperature.


Preheat the oven to 250℃.


Using upper and lower heat.


Have ready 12 of  5.5 cm. Canelé mold. 
You can use a copper or non-stick Canelé mold.


Brush the Canelé mold heavily (^^) with butter.


Or use an oil spray to grease the molds.


Pass the batter through a jug.


Pour the batter into the prepared molds.


Bake in the 250℃ preheated oven for 15 minutes.


Decrease the oven temperature to 200℃.
Bake for 30 minutes.


Switch to the lower heat only (or cover with a piece of aluminum foil).
Bake for 20-30 minutes more or until the Canelé is a deep brown.


Remove from the oven and tap the Canelé out of the molds.


Let the Canelé cool before serving.



Cannelés bordelais: Surefire Classis Canelé Recipe



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...