Monday, May 5, 2014

Spaghetti with Pesto Sauce: Today's quick and delicious lunch

 After I told my brother a long time ago that I want him to grow sweet basil for me, finally I got it in my backyard ^^.

Basil, like many herbs, tastes best when used immediately after harvest, so it's my dream to have a chance to cook it or use it right after picking. Anyway it's not a simple green color one (or sweet basil variety) that I have. This variety is Purple ruffles, (you can see that the inside of the leaf has purple color, and the other variety is Black opal - will show you next time). Purple ruffles, basil offers licorice- and cinnamon-flavored leaves, you can use it as a food or use it for decorating. 


I like the taste of it as it's not as spicy as Thai basil and can use in many Italian dish too. You can eat it fresh or you can turn it into a pesto or sauce. I know that the color of the pesto is not lovely green but the taste is superb ^^.


 I picked a large bowl of the basil and turn them into a pesto for today lunch.
Making pesto is easy for everyone esp. if you have food processor. 

For making pesto you need:
- Sweet basil (a bowl of it ^^)
- Roasted nut (pine nut or walnut are great), more if you like richness from the nut
- Small amount of garlic (1-3 cloves)
- Olive oil, enough to cover the top of the pesto
- Salt to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese to taste

Just process all the ingredients except salt in the food processor, add salt to taste. and you will get delicious pesto.
You can use it in many kinds of dish, for today I make simple Spaghetti with Pesto Sauce.
Spaghetti with Pesto Sauce is made by mixing the hot freshly cooked spaghetti with Pesto Sauce, use more or less sauce depends on your taste.
Serve it hot and enjoy the freshness of the dish and the ingredients 


Spaghetti with Pesto Sauce: Today's quick and delicious lunch

2 comments:

  1. I bought my Pesto Sauce from the store. Such lazy me huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanna plant herbs but too lazy to take action. Your spaghetti looks good, simple and nice.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...