Thursday, August 11, 2011

Basic plain meringue : My white guilt!

Plain and simple, meringue is something that many people take for grated. Even I don't like too eat very sweet thing but meringue is my both love and hate. 


I hate it because it's very sweet but I love it from its sweetness. Ok, I try not to confuse you, haha, I love to eat it, on its own, break it and eating it slowly or with something sinful like Crème Chantilly (deliciously rich and sweet) either way I have to hold myself back, because when I thinking about of the amount of sugar, well, it's a lot.
Meringue is one of my disaster when start my baking life (haha, not career, I just push myself to bake), my meringue (or I can't even call it a meringue -*-) was not the way the meringue should be. The key to make successful meringue is no grease or egg yolks allowed. Plastic bowl is not recommended. Try washing your bowl and whisk before using in meringue making (hot water will clean the grease more thoroughly too). Don't worry if you don't have a copper bowl (I don't have it, it's too pricey), you can add a bit of cream of tartar to the egg white, it will give you the same effect as using a copper bowl plus the meringue will be whiter than using the copper bowl too. 
The temperature and the time can be a problem for some people too, the lowest heat setting in my large oven is 125C, it's too hot when I want to make white meringue. So if yours are the same, you will need less baking time but more resting time than I state in the recipe, because in this recipe I use my small oven that can lower the temperature to 90C. And your meringue will be on a brown side than white.
The time will be vary, your meringue will be ready only when it's very dry and come out of the baking paper easily and no moisture left in it (or it will become chewy). Don't be taken back from amount of the time that you have to bake it, because you will use only 10 minutes to prepare them. Just don't forget about it and it will be fine, you can do a lot of thing it 2-3 hours, haha.
Try keeping them in airtight container, the moisture in the air will ruin it and turn your dry and crispy meringue into something as sticky as toffee. 
 You can have it as a snack, or use it in other recipe.



Basic plain meringue



45g ............................ Egg white
75g ............................ Sugar


Preheat the oven to 90°C
Line the baking sheet with baking paper.


Beat the egg white until foamy, add the sugar 1 tbsp at a time, whip until you get firm and glossy meringueม with no grainy feeling when rub it between the finger.
Pipe or spoon over the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 1½ -2 hours or until the meringue dry and come out of the baking paper easily. Turn off the oven and rest the meringue in the oven for 1-1½ hour.
Take the meringue out of the oven wait until cool completely and keep in the airtight container.


Basic plain meringue : My white guilt!

4 comments:

  1. You are a genius Pook! Simply loves all your bakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple'a egg whites in the fridge and was going to make meringues today, although mine wouldnt be HALF as pretty as yours! Really truly beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sugar is it castor or icing sugar?

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...