Monday, March 7, 2011

Mille crêpes au thé vert matcha : Your cute, little green tea crepe cake.

I love the green tea, and I just can't stop using it in any recipe that I can ^^. I know that if you have an affair with it you will be like me. So this time, I put it in a simple crepe cake, and filled the cake with Japanese ingredient.

Crepe Cake is the name of this kind of cake. I make crepe often because I have a electronic crepe pan so it's very easy. I think it's easier to use than the traditional crepe pan but the downside is it's not easy to tile the batter before it cooks, so I always end up with moon shape crepe, haha, almost circle one and the crepe is quite big . It's not suitable for making the crepe cake!!! When someone ask me for the crepe cake recipe I have to think about how. So, I turn my crepe into a small round, by cutting it, I get the same size crepe that I can use it for crepe cake (and smaller mean cute, hehe). 
Actually I can make a simple vanilla crepe cake, but it's boring, haha, so I turn the crepe cake into Japanese dessert. By adding a green tea powder into the crepe batter, and making the Red bean Diplomat cream instead of vanilla cream, and even I try to use only Japanese ingredient, I can't stay away from the chocolate ^^. So, I put the chocolate ganache on top of the cake, a ganache that I put Green tea liqueur (You can see a photo, here) into it to keep the flavor together.
 For the Sweeten red bean paste  you can make it by yourself or buy it, it's up to you, but if you want to skip it, you will need to increase the amount of the sugar in diplomat cream (I think you should try this combination, and going to the supermarket to get one can of it is easy too). 



Mille crêpes au thé vert matcha: Matcha Crepe Cake
Make 5 (7cm crepe cake)
-Crepe batter-
3 ...................................... Eggs
130g ............................... Plain flour
10g .................................. Japanese green tea powder (Matcha)
30g .................................. Unsalted butter, melted and cool
300g ............................... Whole milk
-Filling (Red bean Diplomat cream)-
150g ............................... Whole milk
20g ................................. Sugar
1/2tsp ............................ Corn flour (corn starch)
2 ..................................... Egg yolks
........................................ a pinch of salt
90g ................................. Sweeten red bean paste
250g ............................... Whipping cream
-Green tea liqueur Ganache-
100g ............................... Whipping cream
100g ............................... Dark chocolate
20ml ............................... Green tea liqueur (You can see a photo, here)
Put 250g of milk with all of the ingredients into a blender and turn on the machine.
Blend for 2-3 minutes or until fully combine, pour the mixture into a jug and refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.
Take the jug out of the refrigerator, if the batter is too thick, loosen it with the remaining milk.
Heat the pan (I use electronic crepe pan, and set the heat on medium low). Using a scrapper to spread the batter out evenly. Run the scrapper clockwise one full turn, then counterclockwise a full turn. Cook the crepe for 15 seconds. Loosen the edges of the crepe with the spatula.
Slide the spatula under the crepe and flip the crepe. Cook the crepe on the second side for no more than 15 seconds. Use the spatula to remove the crepe to a holding platter.
If using a pan: Pour the batter on a pan and immediately tilting and rotating skillet to coat bottom. (If batter sets before skillet is coated, reduce heat slightly for next crêpe.)

When you finish all of the batter, using 7cm round cutter cut the crepe into small round.
You will get about 70 pieces.
Make the filling:
Make the pastry cream 
In a small saucepan, bring the milk to a boil. In the meantime, combine the yolks, sugar, salt and corn flour together and whisk in a heavybottomed saucepan.
Once the milk has reached a boil, temper the yolks by whisking a couple spoonfuls of the hot milk into the yolk mixture. Continue whisking and slowly pour the rest of the milk into the tempered yolk mixture.
Place the pan over medium heat and whisk vigorously (without stop) until the mixture returns to a boil.
Take the saucepan off the heat and put the Sweeten red bean paste in and whisk to combine. Let the mixture cool completely before using.

Whisk cream just to soft peaks.
Gently fold 1/3 of the cream into the pastry cream.
Gently fold back the the pastry cream and cream mixture into the cream. Put the mixture into a piping bag.

Place a crepe in an entremet ring. Pipe the Red bean Diplomat cream. Top with another crepe. Continue layering with Red bean Diplomat cream and crepes, using about 15 crepes and ending with a crepe on top. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

Make the Green Tea Liqueur dark chocolate ganache:
Put the whipping cream in a small pan, and place over low heat until boil.
As soon as the cream's boiling, take off the heat and pour the chocolate into the pan wait for 2-3 minutes, stir until melt, then stir in the Green Tea Liqueur.
Pour the ganache over the cakes, and serve.


Mille crêpes au thé vert matcha : 
Your cute, little green tea crepe cake.

21 comments:

  1. Individual portions look good.
    Sadly, I'm never a fan of matcha.
    But urs look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my! i love the layers of crepes, red bean paste and the choc ganache. look extremely delicious! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That looks sooo good. For someone who watches her diet, I'm pretty sure I can't resist that. (You might be wondering how I watch my diet when I love baking, but actually I find that all the stuff I bake I can resist temptation and eat only a small bite) This is sooo time consuming though! 70 pieces is such a lot to cut out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy macaroni! that looks sooo good! especially with that chocolate sauce!! jealous! if only i had the skills to bake

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so gorgeous! So beautifully and delicately made. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never seen such an elegant crepe cake,truly marvellous..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my god pook... i really don't know how you do it but everything you make is just a wonder!!! You are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, may I know where did you buy your electronic crepe pan?……
    By the way, your mini mille crêpes look cute and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! Cute little layers of crepes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Wendy
    haha, you can make this one in Vanilla (plain) if you want ^^.
    Hi, The Sweetylicious
    Thank you
    Hi, Swee San
    Thank you
    Hi, Esther
    Oh, it seen like a lot of work, but it didn't take time at all.

    Hi, LittleAsianGirl BigAppetite
    Thank you
    Hi,Passionate About Baking
    Thank you
    Hi, Priya
    Thank you
    Hi, Valerie
    Thank you
    Hi, Fiona
    I bought it from kitchen supplies store , the brand is Severin.
    Hi, Cathy
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love green tea, too (I drink 6 cups a day at least)! But I never tried using matcha in cooking and baking. Matcha is very unusual and unknown here, and I you have to go to Germany to buy it.
    But your creation, it looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. tes photos sont d'une gourmandise incroyable !! ce gâteau est irrésistible

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG!i love the way the chocolate melts on the top!it looks so yummy!i'm cravin for it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to tell you this is the best good looking cake I ever saw. Green and black, is very classy and fashionable!
    I bet it also tastes delicious. Gonna have to try it really soon.
    Love&Light
    Margherita

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi. May I know which whipping cream did you use? I followed exactly the instructions but my filling doesn't get hard enough after chilling it overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Connie
    I use whipping cream with 40% fat .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi. Thanks for your reply. May I know the specific brand that you used? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mostly I use the local brand, but you can use Anchor or President, they are good too.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...