Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Caramel corn

My sisters really want to eat it and ask me to make a real (good?) caramel corn. So I search for the recipe on the internet and voilla, it came from one of my favorite blogs “The Amateur gourmet”. But you know that my problem of the sugar still persist because from the original recipe the corn came out too sweet to enjoy them often, so I decided to reduce the sugar. This is the result that I hope that you will like it as well. I make them almost every week now because my sisters can finish it real fast.

Caramel corn





Unsalted butter 100 g
Corn syrup 100 g
Baking soda ¼ tsp
Brown sugar 100 g
Salt 1 tsp
Vanilla ½ tsp

Popped corn 15 c

Heat the oven to 150°C.

Melt the butter, stir in the corn syrup, sugar and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil stirring constantly. Boil without stirring for 4 minutes (I find it burned if boiling too long). Remove from the heat, stir in the soda and vanilla (it will foams!). Pour the mixture over the popped corn immediately (it’s will harden if you wait for too long) and mix well. Spread the coated corn into large cake pans and bake for 45-50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Take them out of the oven and let them cool, the corn will be crisp.

If you want the original recipe just click here.


4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I am your follower, will check your blog everyday for new recipe ^_^

    Would like to check with you, for this caramel corn, how much popped corn did you use? The recipe calls for 15 c, so is how much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you will need 15 cup of popped corn ^ ^.
    It'd not much you just pour the popped corn into the measuring cup and level it.
    It'll fit in large baking pan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which corn syrup did you use? Dark or light syrup? Is there any problem if I you dark corn syrup and granulated sugar since I could not find light corn syrup :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Fuyu
    You can use dark corn syrup, but your caramel corn will be a bit darker than mine.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...