Friday, December 5, 2008

Charlotte aux fraises: Strawberry Charlotte

There is the only reason for me to make this dessert, it's cute, haha, I hope you agree with me. I got a lot of strawberry from my sister (if you remember, I complained about the strawberry when I make The Strawberry Layer cake, and now everyone in my family bought the strawberry for me, whenever they saw it, ^ ^").
So I have to find the recipe that I can use them real fast.
This recipe is an adaptation from..................(which I already write about or you can read about it, ...... ). The book which I use quite often, because most of the recipes turn out great.
Don't be afraid from a long list of ingredients and instruction, this charrotte is not hard to make, I just took a lot of photos to show you the step by step of making it. Actually it took only a little of time to make and assemble, and you can prepare the biscuits a day or two before making the mousse, just remember that the charlotte need 4 hours or overnight to firm up before serving.






Charlotte aux fraises: Strawberry Charlotte
Makes 1 (15cm charlotte)


Biscuit à la cuiller

48 g
Egg yolk
35 g
Caster sugar (1)
77 g
Egg white
40 g
Caster sugar (2)
75 g
Cake flour

Icing sugar
Italian Meringue

25 g
Egg white
45 g
Caster sugar (1)
5 g
Caster sugar (2)
15 g
Water
Strawberry Mousse

200 g
Strawberry (fresh or frozen)
25g
Caster sugar
5 g
Gelatin
150 g
Whipping cream
40 g
Italian meringue



Make the Biscuit à la cuiller
Preparation:
Pan lined with baking paper and brush with butter
Oven temperature: 220 °C
Sift the flour

Pour egg yolk and sugar (1) into a bowl, and beat until lighten in color and thicken. Set aside.

Make the meringue by beating the egg white and sugar (2) together until stiff peak form.

Fold the meringue into egg yolk mixture in 2 additions; be careful not to knock off the air.
Pour the sifted flour into the mixture and fold to combine.
Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1.4 cm nozzle (or smaller). Pipe or spoon mixture into 2 X 15 cm rounds onto baking paper-lined (or Silpat) oven trays.
And pipe the rest into close fingers. Sprinkle with icing sugar.

Put the pan into the oven, bake for 12 -15 minutes for the round biscuits.
And bake for 8-10 minutes for the fingers.
Let the biscuits cool on the wire rack.

Set the biscuit in the pan
(before making the strawberry mousse)

Cut the fingers and line the mold with the finger.
Place the round biscuit into the base.

Set aside while you making the mousse.


Makes the strawberry mousse

Make the Italian meringue:

1. Put the sugar (1), water in a thick based pan, and place over a moderate heat and stir until it boils
2. When the syrup temperature reaches 110 °C beat the egg whites and sugar (2) until stiff
3. When the syrup temperature reaches 118°C slowly whisk it into the egg whites in a thin stream taking care not to let it run onto the whisk
4. Continue beating until completely cold.

Put the strawberry in the blender or food processor and process until fine.
Mix with sugar.

Dissolve the gelatin with 2 tbsp of water, let the mixture stand for 2 minutes.
Put 50 g of strawberry mixture into a microwavable cup and heat for 40 second or until hot.
Pour the hot strawberry into the gelatin and stir to combine.
Pour the strawberry and gelatin mixture into the strawberry mixture and stir to combine.

Beat the cream until soft peak form.


then gently fold 1/3 of the cream into the strawberry mixture.
Gently fold back the strawberry and cream mixture into the cream. The mixture will be quite loose.

Fold the Italian meringue into the strawberry mixture in 2 addition.
Fold to combine.


Pour the mousse into the prepared mold.
Cover with another round biscuit.
Warp with plastic warp and refrigerate until firm.

To Serve
Take the charlotte out of the mold.
Dust with icing sugar.


Charlotte aux fraises: Strawberry Charlotte

11 comments:

  1. Hi Pook,

    What a beautiful charlotte.

    Can I omit italian meringue if I do not have it? I couldn't find it in Brisbane.

    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jae.
    Italian meringue is the egg white cook with hot syrup (you can see from the instruction above), you don't have to buy it.

    Pook

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I've run into your blog just yesterday and it has become my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jenny.
    So welcome to my blog!
    Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty pook. You have put a lot of effort into this one! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi!! hello, im vegetarian, do you know if instead of gelatin, I could use agar agar? would that work?
    i absolutely love your page!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I will find the amount of the agar-agar for you, ^^ (remind me if I forgot).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi , if I want to make it at 24 cm round mold how much Mousse I should use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, if I have extra meringue how long I could store it at the fridge? For 24 cm mold how much mousse ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will need 2.5 batches of this mousse for 24 cm pan.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...