Friday, April 25, 2014

Very Banana Cake: For banana lover like me

 I always have a problem with bananas, well not that I don't like them, but my family will use them in any festivals (Chinese new year, ancestor worship, Hungry Ghost Festival, and etc you name it).

 Bananas will be the first on the shopping list, and they always end up blacken on the kitchen counter wait for being thrown away. I try to turn them into everything that I can but it's not enough. Most of the banana cake doesn't use a lot of bananas for one recipe. 
So I think that I have to create a recipe that uses a lot of it. With try and test (while I tried the recipes, a lot of bananas went to heaven, not the garbage bag, haha, I'm glad that I didn't have to throw them away). I put as much banana as I can into one small cake. 
Finally, I got the recipe that squeezes 4 bananas into it. This recipe needs 2 bananas for the cake (mash and mix into the batter), and 2 bananas for the topping (slice and place on top). The cake comes out moist but not damp or too sweet. You can use banana when it becomes black (it will be sweeter), even for the one that is used for topping. I add the Demerara sugar to create more texture for the cake but if you don't want you can skip it ^^.
Try this cake with a cup of tea will be a great choice or a cup of milk is good for children too. Well, if you have the blackened bananas waiting for you at the counter, try this recipe I think you will love it (and maybe you will end up buying more bananas without fear like I do ^_*).




 Very Banana Cake
Make 20cm cake

195g ............................... All-purpose flour
1/2tsp ............................ Baking powder
1/2tsp ............................ Baking soda
1/4tsp ............................ Salt (omit, if using salted butter)
130g ............................... Unsalted butter or salted butter
130g ............................... Granulated sugar
1 ...................................... Egg
1tsp ................................. Vanilla extract
190g ................................ Mashed banana 
85g .................................. Whipping cream
1tsp ................................. Lemon juice
2 ...................................... Bananas for topping
......................................... Turbinado sugar or Demerara sugar, for sprinkle on top of the cake

Preheat the oven to 180°C
Line 20cmx20cm pan with baking paper.
Sift flour, baking powder, and baking soda together.
Mix the whipping cream and lemon juice together.
Beat the butter and salt until soft, add the granulated sugar then beat until light in color, add the vanilla, beat until combined.
Add the egg, beat until combined, add the mashed banana, beat until combine.


 Pour 1/3 of the sifted flour into the bowl, fold to combine, pour half of the whipping cream mixture into the bowl,  fold to combine, repeat with the rest of the flour and the whipping cream mixture (end with flour).


Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, cut the banana into small rings, and place it on top of the cake.
Sprinkle with  Turbinado sugar or Demerara sugar.
Put into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Let the cake rest in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan.


Very Banana Cake: For banana lovers like me 

14 comments:

  1. I'm a banana fans like u too. i just bake a rice cooker banana cake not long ago. but the outcome slightly damp in the center of the cake.perhaps can try your recipe instead.... ;>

    ReplyDelete
  2. en amoureuse de la banane, je pique cette recette. Tu nous fais bien envie avec ce gâteau mais, même si je ne suis plus enfant, ce sera avec du lait pour moi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your cake is well presented with the nicely arrange banana on top. Bookmarked! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love banana cakes! You have done it so neatly!
    Look very moist and yummy!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Can I substitute the whipped cream with milk ? Or can you tell me what ingredient can substitute the whipped cream.. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    I tried this lovely recipe of yours and it taste divine...thank u so much. The cake was finish by my family member in a split second :) However i made this in 20x20 cm cake pan but the height is 8 cm. I need to bake it longer and still at the end the cake doesn't brown evenly. The edges still a bit pale rather than nice golden brown in the center part. Was this because the height of my cake pan ? Thanks in advance for ur answer and ur lovely blog.

    Cheers,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Anonymous
    You can use yogurt instead of whipping cream.

    Hi, Anonymous
    The problem can come from the pan too, esp. if the heat source is from the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,thank u for ur respond..i bake used top n bottom heat. I will try again using a standard 5 cm height cake pan,hopefully I can get an even golden nice brown this time :)

    Cheers,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi.. I don't have demerara sugar.. Can i use granulated sugar to sprinkle on top?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes you can use granulated sugar to sprinkle the top of the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this recipe,

    Thank for sharing ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it.. I have never made any good banana cake.. THis is the 1st one.. Thank you very much ka..

    ReplyDelete
  13. You mentioned sprinkle sugar on the banana before baking, was it because the banana will not discolored?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the sugar just adds crunchy texture to the cake.

      Delete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...